Monday, August 29, 2011

Give, and it shall be given unto you...

The bible says, 'Give and it shall be given unto you, pressed down, shaken together, and running over, shall men give unto your bosom".  The principal of giving works.  It works very well even in our day and time.  As all the public sector workers (I'm included in that number) face September with paycuts  compliments of our governor and NJ legislature, let us remember that there is a principal of giving that transcends what the world considers normal.  The principal of giving is simple.  It just says that if you give to God, He will return it to you multiplied.  We can either be afraid and panicked about our reductions in pay due to increases in pension and healthcare, or we can get involved in the principle of giving.  I began to notice that the principle works when I was much younger, and though I strayed away from it, I have returned to find that te principle is as solid now as it ever was.  For example, I used to wonder why we always had so many clothes in my family.  Yes, I do love to shop, well, I did at one time, but  that couldn't cover the amount of clothing that we seemed to have in our closets.  Then I remembered "the principle".  I have always made it a habit to give to others who were less fortunate than we are.  Even in times when we felt that what we had was little, I still gave.  I make sure to give from my own home and my own budget; clothing, furniture, toys, food, school supplies etc. to shelters and families who are struggling.  Soon other people would discover that I was giving, and they would give things to me to be distributed.   I'm sure if they check, they will find that same principle at work in their lives.  Anyway, the more I gave from my own home, the more our closets would become full to overflowing (not with the donated clothes. those belong to God).  I would always run into a sale with a two-fer, or I'd get a discount coupon for something I really wanted.  It would be from a place that I had never received anything before.  Sometimes my friends or family members would say, " I bought too many, or the wrong color, so just give these jeans, sweaters, etc. to your children.  The items would still have store tags on them.  After a while there were so many that I had to ask if they could be donated.  "Give, and it shall be given..." 
     The same thing would happen with food, and all the other things that I would first give from my own house and pocket.  I would, quite by accident, stumble into great deals, or be the receiver of gifts.  One year I helped a homeless family to live in a temporary dwelling and have food to eat every day.  I did it because it was necessary. I did it because God commands us to help the helpless.  I did it knowing that even though I was using my summer savings, my God was watching, and would cover me.  (As a teacher, I get no paycheck in the summer months so I have to work an extra job and save the money.)  I didn't know how I would pay the summer bills, but God knew.  He covered them.  I received checks from companies that said I had over paid, and they had just gone over their books.  I got a summer job at a place where it is almost impossible to get one.  My insurance co. gave me a big check for being a good customer with no accidents.   (No, I wasn't cancelled).  It's just the principle of giving.  My dogs had puppies, to my surprise, and people offered to pay for them.  Well, they are pure bred and registered with papers, so I know they are worth money, I just didn't know we were going to have the little additions this summer.  In any case.  God is awesome.  His word is faithful. 
     I tithe from anything that I receive.  I tithe to my church.  When my dog has puppies, sometimes I am able to pay the tithes on their sale in advance.  I just wait expectantly for God to be faithful.  I have never been disappointed.  He is one bank that has interest and never fails.  You may not get the return right away, but you always get it, and it's always right on time.  God is faithful.  The principle of giving works.  "Give, and it shall be given unto you, pressed down, shaken together, and running over, shall men give unto your bosom."  Generosity pays.

No comments: