Friday, November 11, 2016

What should I tell my students?

I teach at a county college in New Jersey. Many of the professors have noticed that in some cases 1/3 of our students are missing from class since Nov. 8. Many of our Muslim students are no longer proudly wearing their covering. Several have come up to me to tell me that their parents have called them from their home country to tell them to come home. (This is a very international area). It's breaking my heart. I feel like crying. My friends and my family members are in suspended disbelief. I get phone calls with my friends and family members just sobbing. We understand that our 2 party system means that sometimes we have one political party or the other in office. That's life in America. That's not why the great feeling of dismay. The fact that a person has lied, used abusive language, bullied and slandered their way into the office of the president is shocking and devastating. Is this the decline of our society? how did this happen? So many of my little college students are so afraid. On Wednesday I walked into class with what was, I admit, a somber feeling, but the room was heavy and quiet. No one in my highly communicative classroom talked. Some of their eyes were filled with tears. One person commented, why do people tell us that certain behavior is unacceptable? He does it and now he's president.
I don't know what to tell them except to stay in faith. God is real and He sees. Throughout history there has been a struggle between right and wrong, love and hate, good and evil. Knowing God doesn't mean we won't have trouble, but knowing God does mean that help is on the way. In the meantime, my suggestion for my students is to listen to their family members and listen to God.
I don't want to be like the 911 operators who were telling people to remain in the twin towers and wait for help on that terrible day. The adherence to those words aided in the increase of the death toll.

No comments: